Applications for the 2019 NSOP Committee are now closed! The deadline to apply was Thursday, February 7th at 8:00 a.m.
The New Student Orientation Program (NSOP) Committee consists of four students from Barnard College, four students from Columbia College and Columbia Engineering and one student from the School of General Studies. These student leaders have an integral role in the transition process for incoming students beginning in the spring and continuing throughout their first week on campus.
Committee members are required to attend a weekly training session in the spring semester and work over the summer. Please review all the expectations and important dates below prior to applying. Committee members receive a stipend of $3,795 in the summer along with summer housing.
Questions? Please email email@example.com.
NSOP Committee Expectations
- Attend weekly committee trainings in the spring semester on Fridays at 9:00 a.m., which begin on Tuesday, February 15
- Work the Orientation Leader Group Information Session on Sunday, March 10, 9:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Participate in crew chief and orientation leader individual interviews, as schedules permit
- Attend the Orientation Programs Study Break on Wednesday, May 8, 2:00–4:00 p.m.
- Attend and participate fully in the NSOP retreat, which takes place Tuesday, May 28–Thursday, May 30
- Work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (24 hours per week) in June and July
- Work Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (40 hours per week) in August and throughout Orientation week (August 25-September 2). Additional hours may be required during the week of orientation.
- Week of vacation scheduled for week of July 1
- Work under the supervision and expectations Undergraduate Student Life and Student Engagement to coordinate school specific and joint programs and events
- Develop minute-to-minute briefs to assist in the facilitation of all programming
- Maintain an organized programming calendar for NSOP
- Contribute content information for the NSOP Schedule Book
- Attend all scheduled meetings and events in a timely manner, and engage in dialogue to plan and improve the NSOP program as a member of the NSOP Committee
- Assist NSOP staff and student leader coordinators in the selection and training of crew chiefs and orientation leaders
NSOP Student Chair
- Work closely with the Barnard and General Studies Student Chair on four-school joint social programs
- Assist in all aspects of the orientation program in conjunction with the Student Engagement staff, and serve as liaison to other organizations and offices involved with the orientation program
- Helps coordinate the development of the orientation theme, media, communications and strategy in conjunction with the Student Engagement, Barnard Student Life and General Studies Student Life staff
- Assist with CC and OL training alongside staff
- Support the work of other committee members when needed
- Lead conversations and discussions with committee members
- Assist in the planning of all social events during the week of NSOP, including the New York City event, Open Mic Night, Performance Showcase, CU gLow, late-night campus programming and other events under the supervision of the Student Engagement staff
- Applicants should have experience managing groups and projects
- Applicants are not required to have had previous committee experience
Student Leader Coordinator
- Work closely with the Barnard Student Leader Coordinator
- Assist in the hiring process of crew chiefs (CCs) and orientation leaders (OLs) under the supervision of the Student Engagement staff
- Communicate with the CCs and OLs throughout the course of the summer
- Assist with CC and OL training alongside staff
- Directly interact with CCs and OLs throughout week of NSOP
- Assign new students to orientation leader groups
- Applicants should have experience working with spreadsheets and databases
Community Events Coordinator
- Assist in coordinating with other departments and organizations for all academic events during the week, including placement exams, library and computing info sessions, student advising scheduling and other various informational sessions under the supervision of the Student Engagement staff
- Work on the production of Class Act with the support of NSOP Staff
- Work with the Center for Student Advising to coordinate and implement various academic programs
- Implement all programming for transfer, visiting and combined plan (TVC) students, including move-in procedures, information sessions and social outings under the supervision of the Student Engagement staff
- Work on late night programs in residence halls with RHLO
- Communicate with incoming TVC students over the summer
- Meet weekly on Friday mornings with NSOP staff during spring semester
- Applicants should have experience developing and implementing programs
- Experience with academic and/or educational programs is desirable but not necessary
Social Media & Marketing Coordinator
- Be proficient in social media use, specifically: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and various blogging platforms
- Be comfortable with photography, videography and editing
- Support the staff and Committee on various projects, including raising awareness of NSOP, marketing specific events and capturing highlights of NSOP through photography and film
- Experience with Photoshop and/or InDesign is desirable
- One video project and graphic design project will be due in the spring semester when hired