Multicultural Affairs works in conjunction with a range of student organizations, alumni shared interest groups, and administrative offices to organize multicultural graduation ceremonies that celebrate the accomplishments of students that have engaged in many areas of diversity at Columbia University. Graduation ceremonies are open to all undergraduate students from Columbia and Barnard.
Multicultural Affairs Graduation Cords
Presented by Multicultural Affairs, the Multicultural Affairs Graduation Cords are given to graduating seniors in Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, and School of General Studies who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to diversity, social justice, and multiculturalism through Multicultural Affairs, campus leadership, activism, community involvement, academic endeavors, and/or personal dedication.
Worn in the various graduation ceremonies, the graduation cords are also a powerful visual symbol of our new graduates’ ongoing commitment as alumni in continuing and sharing the office's mission of supporting personal development, advancing the strength within communities, acknowledging diversity in the different aspects of their lives, working toward social justice, honoring our different and intersecting legacies of struggle and survival, and building meaningful coalitions across different identities.
Nominees Must Meet the Following Criteria
- Current senior in CC, SEAS, or GS who will be eligible to participate in Commencement Spring 2020
- A student in good standing at Columbia University
- Positive impact on fellow students
- Willingness, openness, and commitment to be an ally to other communities
- Great ability to advocate, organize, and follow-through on related projects and initiatives
- Significant dedication of time to related projects and issues throughout their time at Columbia
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership and constructive contributions to diversity, social justice, and multiculturalism on or off campus while a student at Columbia
Multicultural Affairs: Community Graduations
Multicultural Affairs collaborates with student organizations, alumni groups, and other offices to organize multicultural graduation ceremonies that celebrate the accomplishments of students who have engaged in one or many of Columbia's diverse communities. Students may participate in Asian Graduation, Black Graduation, FLI Graduation, Latinx Graduation, Lavender Graduation and Native Graduation by registering on the GradZone website.