The Student Group Borrowing Agreement outlines the rules and expectations for the use of the Props cages and Costume Closet. Each group checking out items from the Props Cages or Costume Closet is required to have one group representative sign the agreement for each event for which they are borrowing items. Although only one student group representative is required to sing the agreement on behalf of the group, each member who checks out items, and the group as a whole, is expected to know and abide by the information below. The group as a whole will be be held responsible and liable should any rules, expectations or policies not be met. This includes but is not limited to fees being charged to the group account or the group no longer being allowed to use the resources in the future. If, however, an individual(s) in a group is repeatedly having issues meeting the rules, policies, and expectations, the Black Box Theatre has the right to restrict the individual(s) from using the resources in the future and holding the iondividual student(s) responsible for any fees or charges. The group representative will be expected to sign this agreement during the first appontment to access the Cages or Closet.
The group representatives will sign a digital copy of this agreement during the first appoitment to access to Props Cages or Costume Closet.
- Access to the Props Cages or Costume Closet is by appointment only during the allotted hours.
- Props and costumes may be checked out by representatives or members of any recognized undergraduate student group at no cost to the individual or organization.
- Students and student groups do not need to have a reservation in the Black Box Theatre to use the resources.
Appoitments should be made to do any of the following:
- Check-Out or Check-In/Returning items;
- To reserve/tag items;
- Needs or inquiries for emergency or temporary storage; and or
- Donations of props.
Reserving and Tagging Items
- Student groups are allowed to reserve items in advance via the tagging system.
- Tagging can only be done in-person.
- Black Box Theatre Team members should be notified of all tagged items so a record can be kept in the database
- Regardless of tagging, exclusive rights to any pieces are only granted during the period of the specific event. In other words, you may pre-select the pieces that you want to use, but we cannot guarantee that the pieces will not be used by other, non-conflicting productions
- Tagging is done on a first come, first served basis.
- Items that are previously tagged by another group are not to be removed or modified if your group needs the same item(s) during the same time period.
- Expired tags should be removed and thrown away.
- Tags should not be thrown on the floor of the cages or costume closet or left on the items after the reservations dates have passed.
- The checking-out of items must be done in person and by appoitment only.
- A due date will be agreed upon by both the group member and Black Box Theatre Team.
- A Black Box Theatre team member will review all the rules, policies and expectations for the props and costumes.
- The selected items for check-out will all be recorded in the Black Box Theatre spreadsheet and signed out by the group member.
- Once checked out, the items fall under the responsibility of the group and the representative checking them out.
Checking-In and Returning Items
- Check-ins and returns must be done in person and by appointment only.
- Items must be clean and in the original condition of check-out; depending on the value of the prop or costume, a replacement may be acceptable with prior approval from the Black Box Theatre Manager only.
- Any costumes being checked out are required to be cleaned or dry-cleaned upon return at the expense of the group.
- If costumes are not returned cleaned, Student Engagement will have the item(s) cleaned and the groups account will be charged a cleaning fee. This may also result in the group no longer having access to the Costume Closet for future events.
- Upon return of any item(s), the groups will go through each item with a member from the Black Box Theatre Team for inspection and signing of the spreadsheet.
- After inspection, the group member will return the item to its proper location in an organized fashion. If item(s) are not returned and/or placed neatly in their proper location the group account will be charged a cleaning and organizational fee.
- No return(s) is necessary for materials that are not-returnable (ie. paint, glue, wrapping paper etc.), please let the Black Box Theatre Team know in advance.
Late Returns and Missing Items
- Items must be returned on or by 5:00 p.m. of the designated due date. Late items will result in a late fee being charged to the student group.
- If items are not returned by 5:00 p.m. the original due date, the Black Box Theatre will contact the student(s) who checked out the late item(s) on behalf of the group via email reminding the student(s) to return the item(s).
- If items are not returned by within two business days from the original due date the Black Box Theatre will contact the student(s) who checked out the late item(s) on behalf of the group via phone reminding the student(s) to return the item(s) and that a late fee will be incurred if it is not returned within 24 hours.
- If the item is not returned within six business days of the origional due date a $10 late fee for each late item will be charged to the student group for each business day the item(s) is not returned starting from the sixth late date.
- The group president, treasurer, and student representative responsible for checking out the items of for the group will receive an email updating them of the total charge every week.
- If the item is late by more than 21 business days from the original due date, a flat rate charge of $250 per late item will be charge to the group. The group will not have access to the Props Cages or Costume Closet for the next 2 semesters. This charge and restriction will be incurred regardless of the item being returned after the 21 day late period.
Treatment of Items
- Items must be returned in the same or better condition in which they were borrowed.
- Props and costumes are not to be changed, modified or altered in any way, unless approved by the Black Box Theatre Manager (conditions may apply).
- Items that are lost, returned with unapproved alterations, damages, or broken may result in a replacement fee charged to the student group upon return. Groups may also lose the ability to use the resources
- Groups are allowed to replace lost, broken, or damaged items with the approval of the Black Box Theatre Manager at the groups expense without incurring further charges or being banned from using the resources in the future as long as the items are replaced on or before the due date.