Applications for Alternative Spring Break are now open! Apply to participate in Alternative Spring Break.
The Alternative Spring Break: NYC Arts & Culture (ASB) program aims to provide undergraduate students in Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, Barnard College, and General Studies with exposure to the world of performing arts in NYC. For 2020, the theme is "Theatre in New York: Broadway and Beyond" and will take place between March 16-20 (Spring Break). Throughout the week students will explore different theatrical art forms such as improvisation, immersive theatre, circus arts and more by participating in workshops, attending performances, and exploring the various theatrical opportunities around the city, expanding beyond "just" the Broadway shows we all know and love!
- Students become familiar and connected to the world of New York City theatre
- Leave with a deeper understanding of what goes into the creation of a professional theatrical production
- Develop knowledge and transferable skills that can be applied to their academic and potential professional careers
- Expand student knowledge of various theatrical venues around NYC
- Connect students with organizations that pertain to the performance and arts realms
- Expose students to workshops, discussions, entertainment, performances, and arts-related networks