Any recognized undergraduate student organization is allowed to request space in the Black Box Theatre. However, the Theatre is specifically meant to support arts and performance-related groups and events. Requests outside of this area will not be approved. All proposed events must be mounted through an existing undergraduate student organization. If your event/group is not performance- or arts-related but you are hoping to have a performing arts event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about an exception.
Requesting space in the Black Box Theatre should be done during the prescribed pre-calendaring period. Groups who wish to request or modify space after the pre-calendaring period has closed can submit a Black Box Theatre Space Request Form starting one week before the start of each semester at 9:00 a.m. Updates to approved requests or new space requests (after the pre-calendaring period) will not be considered until the week before the first week of classes of each semester.
Please note, pre-calendaring and Black Box Space Request Forms only request space and do not guarantee a confirmed reservation of the space. Each request is reviewed for approval signatures by the Black Box Theatre Manager and the group's adviser. Once signed the form needs to be submitted to the Black Box Theatre Manager for review and input into EMS. Requests are only considered "confirmed" if and when groups receive a confirmation email from the Black Box Theatre Manager.
How to Request Space in the Black Box Theatre
Pre-Calendaring Space Request
The space request and pre-calendaring process is now closed; new pre-calendaring requests/reservations are no longer being accepted. Check the UEM website for more information. To get priority consideration for space in the Black Box Theatre, student groups may request space during the pre-calendaring period for tech weeks and performances. Student groups may not request space during the pre-calendaring period for rehearsals or meetings. All pre-calendaring requests will be reviewed and groups will receive an email update regarding the status of their request once pre-calendaring has concluded.
Regular Space Requests (Outside of Pre-Calendaring)
Student groups may submit a space request for the Black Box Theatre once the pre-calendaring period has passed. During the regular calendaring period (1 week before start of semester - last day of classes), student groups may email the Black Box Theatre Manager, Nina Lam (email address email@example.com), for a Black Box Theatre Space Request Form.
Student groups must then follow these steps to formally request a space in the Black Box Theatre:
- Complete the Black Box Theatre Space Request Form (different from the UEM Space Request Form). Please check EMS for availability before requesting dates.
- Completed forms must get approval and signature from your adviser.
- Groups must also get approval and signature from the Black Box Theatre manager, Nina Lam, in 515M Lerner.
- If the group receives all signatures, and the reservation is approved by the Black Box Theatre manager, it will be inputted to EMS and groups will receive a follow up email with the space request status and next steps within one–five business days. Please consider the turnaround time when submitting space requests.
Reservation Confirmation Process
To be granted a confirmed reservation in the Black Box Theater groups must first request space. Please see the space request steps above for more detailed information.
Space requests are reviewed and determined by the Black Box Theatre Manager. Upon review, groups will be notified via email of the next steps along with their reservation summary and reservation status, which will be one of the following: Confirmed, Tentative Pending Event Review, More Information Needed, Denied, or Cancelled. Groups must carefully review the reservation summary details as the date and times offered may be different than the dates and times originally requested by the group. Please note, requests are not fully confirmed until groups receive a "Confirmation" email from the Black Box Theatre Manager.
Please note that events, tech weeks, and productions take precedence over rehearsals, practice, and/or meetings in the Black Box. Rehearsals, practice, and/or meetings are considered on a case-by-case basis and can be overridden (even if tentative or confirmed) if another group needs the space for tech weeks, events, or productions.
See below for more information regarding each status; these details are also included in the email groups receive regarding space requests.
The group will receive a confirmation email completing the reservation process for the group if and when all the steps are completed. For rehearsals, this includes completing and getting all necessary approvals on Black Box Theatre Space Request Form from Black Box Theatre Manager. For events, tech weeks, and productions, this includes completing all steps outlined in initial email from Black Box Theatre Manager. Upon confirmation, the student group, UEM and the Black Box Theatre Manager will continue to work together through the end of the reservation to assure successful event execution.
Tentative Pending Event Review
The space is on hold and the group is given first priority for the date(s) and time(s). The request will only be "Confirmed" once the group completes the required steps. These required steps are as follows:
- Review the tentative booking in virtual EMS to confirm the information is correct. Details and changes can be made during the Initial Planning Meeting or Event Review.
- Read over the Black Box Theatre website for more detailed information, requirements, rules, and expectations regarding the Black Box.
- Schedule an Initial Planning Meeting with Black Box Theatre Manager, Nina Lam, within 10 business days of receiving "Tentative Pending Event Review" email. This meeting will last ~30 minutes and will consist of students presenting their event ideas to the Black Box Theatre Manager in order to move forward accordingly, and an optional Black Box walk-through. Additional action items may be decided upon along with any necessary deadlines.
- Submit a request to ticket your event through the TIC if you would like to do so - this is recommended for Lerner events with more than 30 non-CUID guests. Requests must be submitted 10 business days in advance of the ticket on-sale date.
- Schedule a mandatory Event Review on or before 10 business days before event. At least 1 group representative overseeing your event must attend the event review with the Black Box Theatre Manager and group's adviser. During this meeting all details and logistics of group's event, tech needs, rules of the space, etc. will be reviewed. Event reviews are offered on Tuesdays from 11:30am - 1:30pm and Thursdays from 2:00pm - 4:00pm, and will take place virtually. Use this link to book an appointment for your Black Box Theatre Event Review
If and when all the steps are completed and all necessary meetings are scheduled the group will receive a confirmation email completing the reservation process and guaranteeing the space for the group. If the steps, timeline, requirements, or process are not met for any reason the reservation will be cancelled, rescheduled, or denied.
More Information Needed
The space request has been received but more details are required before the event can move onto the next step. The space request process will not continue until the information requested is relayed to the Black Box Theatre Manger. If the information is not provided in a timely manner or by the deadline determined by the Manager, the request will be denied, rescheduled, or cancelled.
The space request or event was not approved for the space due to the event not meeting the requirements or criteria to host a program in the Black Box Theatre. The space request will be deleted from the system, followed by an email from the Black Box Theatre Manager. No further action from the group is necessary, unless otherwise stated.
A confirmed space request reservation can also be denied if a group fails to meet the polices, rules, regulations, steps, deadlines, or timelines required to reserve and keep space in the theatre. Depending on the situation, there may be further steps required from the group.
The student group has decided to cancel and release the space request or reservation. Each student group is responsible for notifying the Black Box Theatre Manager as well as Lerner UEM if the event will be cancelled. Lerner Hall cancellation policies apply. For more information, please consult the University Event Management website. The student group will receive a cancellation email. Unless otherwise stated, no further steps are required from the group.
A space request or reservation can also be cancelled if a group fails to meet the polices, rules, regulations, steps, deadlines, or timelines required to reserve and keep space in the theatre. The space request will be cancelled and the group will receive a cancellation email. Unless otherwise stated no further steps are required from the group.