International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) summer coordinators are undergraduate students in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering who assist Multicultural Affairs in welcoming first-year international undergraduate students to Columbia University. ISOP coordinators play an integral role in shaping a positive orientation experience and preparing new international students to achieve a successful beginning to their Columbia University career. This position is open to domestic and international students. You must have a passion for intercultural learning and desire to help international students adjust to life on campus and in New York City.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
ISOP Coordinator Responsibilities
- Attend required Spring coordinators training in April. Specific training dates and times will be determined according to coordinators' class schedules.
- Meet bi-weekly with ISOP staff during spring semester.
- Assist ISOP staff supporting ISOP Head OLs and OLs.
- Attend the off-campus Orientation and Pre-Orientation Retreat from May 28-30, 2019.
- Attend Orientation Committee Training June 3 to 6, 2019 (9:00 am to 1:00 pm)
- Meet weekly with professional staff during the summer to manage ISOP logistics.
- Take lead on major components of ISOP operations, such as organizing activities, scheduling ISOP sessions, managing ISOP communications to new students and conducting components of the 2-day ISOP OL training.
- Starting June 3, 2019 work 20 hours a week during the 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. time frame until July 26 (exclusive of vacation time).
- Starting Monday, July 29, work full-time (35 hours a week) until NSOP concludes.
- Starting Monday, September 2, work 10 hours a week until September 28. Assist with Friday Lunch Chats (two Fridays a month for 3 hours) until the end of October 2019.
- Plan and conduct required orientation leader (OL) training on August 20-21, 2019.
- Keep accurate records of all ISOP planning and event notes.
- Attend debrief meetings after ISOP.
- Assist with ISOP program and learning outcome evaluation data analysis in September 2019.
- Serve as a mandated reporter for any gender-based misconduct you encounter, or are made aware of, during your entire time of employment.
- Be an exceptional leader and mentor to the ISOP community, abiding by all University and School-specific conduct policies.
- Other duties as assigned. Specific tasks/assignments are subject to change in response to unforeseen needs and refocused programming objectives.
- Fulfill all of your responsibilities as outlined above, as well as maintain a high level of professionalism at all times. This includes attending meetings, being punctual, meeting deadlines, and upholding work hours.
- Full-time enrolled Columbia University undergraduate in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering.
- Good academic standing.
- Cumulative GPA at the time of application: 2.5
- Ability to proactively solve problems and take initiative to assist professional staff to maintain the quality of the orientation program.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Excellent leadership, communication, time management and listening skills.
- Good self-awareness and willingness to learn and improve throughout the orientation planning process.
- Ability to exhibit grace under pressure and to stay calm during emergencies.
- Prior leadership experiences that are related to international education, intercultural communication, and social justice education.
- Experience in creating and editing videos.
- Proficiency in more than one language.
- Experience living in another culture.
Compensation for ISOP 2019 Coordinators
- A stipend of $3,795
- On-campus summer housing from mid-May to August 31, 2019
- Rolling Interview Dates: Scheduled following application submission
- Attend required Spring coordinators training in April 2019. Specific training dates and times will be determined according to coordinators' class schedules.