International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) summer coordinators are undergraduate students in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering who assist Multicultural Affairs (OMA) in welcoming first-year international undergraduate students to Columbia University. ISOP coordinators play an integral role in shaping a positive orientation experience and preparing new international students to achieve a successful beginning to their Columbia University career. This position is open to domestic and international students. You must have a passion for intercultural learning and desire to help international students adjust to life on campus and in New York City. The deadline for applications is Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
ISOP Summer Coordinator Responsibilities
- Attend required spring training
- Attend the off-campus Orientation and Pre-Orientation Retreat from May 30-June 1, 2017.
- Meet weekly with professional staff during the summer to manage ISOP logistics.
- Take lead on major components of ISOP operations, such as organizing activities, scheduling ISOP sessions, managing ISOP communications to new students and conducting components of the 2-day ISOP OL training.
- Starting June 5, 2017 work 20 hours a week during the 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. time frame until July 28 (exclusive of vacation time).
- Starting Monday, July 31, work full-time (35 hours a week) until NSOP concludes.
- Starting Monday, September 4, work 10 hours a week until September 29.
- Plan and conduct required orientation leader (OL) training in late August.
- Keep accurate records of all ISOP planning and event notes.
- Attend debrief meetings after ISOP.
- Assist with ISOP program and learning outcome evaluation data analysis in September 2017.
- Serve as a mandated reporter for any gender-based misconduct you encounter, or are made aware of, during your entire time of employment.
- Be an exceptional leader and mentor to the ISOP community, abiding by all University and School-specific conduct policies.
- Other duties as assigned. Specific tasks/assignments are subject to change in response to unforeseen needs and refocused programming objectives.
- Fulfill all of your responsibilities as outlined above, as well as maintain a high level of professionalism at all times. This includes attending meetings, being punctual, meeting deadlines, and upholding work hours.
- Full-time enrolled Columbia University undergraduate in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering.
- Good academic standing.
- Cumulative GPA at the time of application: 2.5
- Ability to proactively solve problems and take initiative to assist professional staff to maintain the quality of the orientation program.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Excellent leadership, communication, time management and listening skills.
- Good self-awareness and willingness to learn and improve throughout the orientation planning process.
- Ability to exhibit grace under pressure and to stay clam during emergencies.
- Prior leadership experiences that are related to international education, intercultural communication, and social justice education.
- Experience in creating and editing videos.
- Proficiency in more than one language.
- Experience living in another culture.
Compensation for ISOP 2017 Coordinators
- A stipend of $2,750
- On-campus summer housing from mid-May to September 2, 2017
- Application Due: Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST
- Interview Dates: Monday, January 30-Wednesday, February 1, 2017
- Application Status Notification: Friday, February 3, 2017