Residential Life employs 146 students as Resident Advisers (RAs). Among the entire population of 5,500 undergraduate students, our RAs emerge as leaders within the Columbia community. RAs develop a healthy community by focusing on the growth and development of each individual on their hall and promote an environment conducive to the overall wellness needs of residents. RAs are creative and energetic students who are strong team players and great listeners.
Resident Adviser 2019-20
RA applicants must be:
- Current, full-time, first years, sophomores or juniors in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering
- Guaranteed undergraduate housing
- In good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- In good behavioral standing
- In good community standing
- Not found responsible for violations of the Gender-Based Misconduct Policy
Additionally, applicants for a Fraternity or Sorority Life Resident Adviser position must not be their organization's president.
RA applicants must complete an:
- RAISE Sessions - consisting of two meetings, one week a part. For context, RAISE provides activities and modules designed to educate applicants on the role of the RA and evaluate each applicant's performance
- Individual interview
- September 18: Applications for 2019-20 academic year RA positions become available
- September-October: Information sessions held throughout campus;
- September 30, 4pm-5pm, Broadway 14th Floor East Lounge
- October 1, 6pm-7pm, John Jay Lounge
- October 2, 7pm-8pm, Schapiro Lounge
- October 4, 6pm-7pm, Wallach Sky Lounge
- October 26 at 11:59pm: All RA applications due
- November 2: Unqualified applications cut.
- November 8-November 18: RAISE Meeting
- November 11-November 12: Individual interviews held
- December: Final status notifications are sent to candidates
- January 28: Smart Start Session One
- February 8: Placement notifications are sent to candidates.
- February 11: Smart Start Session Two
The application for the Resident Adviser position can be found HERE!
If you have questions about the RA position, please contact Kat Burns, Residence Hall Director of Residential Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-853-1321.