Residential Life employs 145 students as Resident Advisers (RAs). Among the entire population of 5,500 undergraduate students, our RAs emerge as leaders within the Columbia community. RAs develop a healthy community by focusing on the growth and development of each individual on their hall and promote an environment conducive to the overall wellness needs of residents. RAs are creative and energetic students who are strong team players and great listeners.
Resident Adviser 2018-19
RA applicants must be:
- Current, full-time, first years, sophomores or juniors in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering
- Guaranteed undergraduate housing
- In good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- In good behavioral standing
- In good community standing
- Not found responsible for violations of the Gender-Based Misconduct Policy
Additionally, applicants for a Fraternity or Sorority Life Resident Adviser position must not be their organization's president.
Applicants must complete an application and the RAISE process. RAISE consists of two meetings, one week a part. RAISE provides activities and modules designed to educate applicants on the role of the RA and evalute each applicant's performance. Candiates also must complete an individual interview scheduled with their RAISE Leader.
- September 18: Applications for 2018-19 academic year RA positions become available
- October: Information sessions held throughout campus;
- October 18, 6pm-7pm, Broadway 14th Floor West Lounge
- October 19, 6pm-7pm, McBain Lounge
- October 20, 2pm-3pm, John Jay Lounge
- October 21, 12pm-1pm, Wein Lounge
- October 22, 10am-11am, Carman Lounge
- October 22, 4pm-5pm, Wallach Sky Lounge
- October 31 at 11:59pm: All RA applications due
- November 1: Unqualified applications cut.
- November 9-November 12: RAISE Meeting One
- November 13-November 17: Individual interviews held
- November 16-November 19: RAISE Meeting Two
- December 4: Final status notifications are sent to candidates
- January 28: Smart Start Session One
- February 8: Placement notifications are sent to candidates.
- February 11: Smart Start Session Two
The application for Resident Adviser position can be found HERE!
If you have questions about the RA position, please contact Aaron Hukari, Residence Hall Director of Residential Life, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-854-5525.