International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) head orientation leaders (head OLs) and orientation leaders (OLs) are undergraduate students in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering who assist Multicultural Affairs (OMA) in welcoming first-year international undergraduate students to Columbia University. Leaders play an integral role in shaping a positive orientation experience and preparing new international students to achieve a successful beginning to their Columbia University career.
A head OL is responsible for handling logistics of ISOP events, as well as managing social media for ISOP. A head OL does not have his/her own student group but supports OLs in their work. An OL is in charge of an OL group (8-10 international students) throughout the orientation program. The major responsibility of an OL is to supoort new students in his/her OL group. Both positions are open to domestic and international students. You must have a passion for intercultural learning and desire to help international students adjust to life on campus and in New York City. The deadline for applications is Sunday, February 5, by 11:59 p.m.
Responsibilities for Orientation Leaders
- Attend the ISOP OL Meet & Greet on Friday, April 14, 4:30-6:00 p.m.
- Attend and participate in all required OL training sessions in late August (date TBD).
- Head OL position only: Attend 3 additional meetings with OMA staff during Spring Semester 2017.
- Assist with moving students into residence halls.
- Facilitate orientation activities (cultural, recreational, and/or educational) during ISOP and stand-alone international events during NSOP.
- Actively participate in orientation field trips with new international students.
- Respond promptly to emails regarding your schedule and work responsibilities.
- Show up on time and be prepared for all trainings and ISOP events.
- Attend ISOP OL debrief meeting after ISOP.
- Attend ISOP reunion in Fall 2017 semester.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Full-time enrolled Columbia University undergraduate in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering.
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 at time of application and be in good academic standing.
- Maintain good judicial standing from the application process to the end of NSOP.
- Effective intercultural communication skills and sensitivity in working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Familiarity with Columbia University campus and building locations as well as university resources, policies, and services
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Excellent leadership, communication, time management, and listening skills.
- Demonstrate good self awareness and willing to learn and improve throughout the orientation planning process.
- Ability to exhibit grace under pressure and to stay clam during emergencies.
- Head OL position only: experience in organizing event logistics and comfort with managing social media platforms
- Head OL position only: experience in creating and editing videos
- Prior leadership experiences that are related to international education, intercultural communication, and social justice education
- Proficiency in more than one language
- Experience living in another culture
Timeline for Selection
- Deadline for application: Sunday, February 5, 2017 by 11:59 p.m.
- Applicants must be available for a 30-minute interview on one of the four days: February 8, February 9, February 10, or February 13.
- Applicants will be notified of selection results on Monday, February 20.