Spring New Student Orientation Program (NSOP) Orientation Leader Position Description
Orientation leaders (OLs) help new students transition smoothly into the Columbia community. They may be assigned to staff events, tours, trips or other orientation sessions. OLs directly interact with new students through assigned groups of new students, are responsible for communicating and meeting with these new students about NSOP events and offer advice and encouragement during their transition to Columbia. It is essential that OLs project a positive attitude and excitement for Columbia University and NSOP to new students at all times.
Orientation leaders are expected to:
- Always maintain a positive attitude toward Columbia University and NSOP
- Assist new students with any questions that they might have during and after NSOP - this does not mean always having the answer, but can mean connecting students to others who can help them as well.
- Attend OL training starting on Monday, January 8 at noon through Tuesday, January 9 at 5:00 p.m.
- Be present and available during the entire NSOP program from Wednesday, January 10 at 9:00 a.m. through Sunday, January 14 at 11:59 p.m.
- Keep in touch with their new students during their time on campus and check in periodically on their experience.
The application to be an orientation leader (OL) for Spring 2018 is now closed.