Columbia College | Columbia Engineering

Home / / Frequently Asked Questions / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a list of frequently asked questions from across the offices supporting Columbia College and Columbia Engineering collected here in one place for your convenience. You can browse by topic/department or search by keyword.

Time Away, Berick Center for Student Advising

Does Columbia offer credit for internships?

Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science and the Columbia School of General Studies, do not provide credit for internships. There is no doubt that internships are valuable experiences for students seeking an introduction to a range of careers and professional cultures.  However, we expect companies to appropriately compensate students for work performed during internships. This policy is one adopted by many of our peer institutions and also is in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and NY State’s Minimum Wage Act and Wage Orders. CCE has posted some helpful information regarding unpaid internships at:

We will continue to support student participation in internships and will be happy to provide letters acknowledging this support if such letters are requested by employers. To receive a letter of support, please see your advising dean.

In order to volunteer at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital, your Advising Dean must fill out this form.

For full internship listings from a variety of employers, consult LionShare and the Center for Career Education.

How do I study abroad?

Columbia College:

The minimum requirements to be permitted to study abroad are:

  • GPA above 3.0
  • Sufficient progress on Core requirements
  • At least 4 semesters of language study (or the equivalent) in the language of the country in which you wish to study abroad
  • One course about the country or region in which you wish to study abroad

CC students should meet with a study abroad adviser in the Office of Global Programs.

Columbia Engineering:

  • GPA above 3.0
  • Sufficient progress on First-Year Sophomore requirements

Engineering students should look through the Engineering Global Initiatives website and plan to meet with Dean Leora Brovman.

How do I take a leave of absence?

Be sure to talk to your Advising Dean if you are contemplating a leave of absence.  

Voluntary Leaves are taken for a variety of reasons.  For more information, review our Voluntary Leave of Absence Policy.  If you wish to take a Voluntary Leave once the semester has already started, you must discuss your plans with your Advising Dean and present a petition to the Committee on Academic Standing. 

Medical Leaves are for a minimum of one year and a maximum of two years. For more information, review our Medical Leave of Absence Policy

For further information about these and other types of leaves of absence, please refer to the Columbia College Bulletin or Columbia Engineering Bulletin.  



How do I take a summer class/take a class outside Columbia?

Talk to your Advising Dean.  

FAQ Topics