Columbia College | Columbia Engineering

Home / / Frequently Asked Questions / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a list of frequently asked questions from across the offices supporting Columbia College and Columbia Engineering collected here in one place for your convenience. You can browse by topic/department or search by keyword.

Policies and Procedures for Student Leaders, Student Engagement

How can I obtain a list of vendors that accept e-forms as a method of payment?

The vendor list is updated yearly and details all businesses and companies that will accept an eform in lieu of cash/check/or credit card. Student Engagement encourages all groups to take advantage of these vendors (many of which are in the neighborhood). The list is located in the Student Engagement office on the 5th floor.

How do I go about sending a voicemail to all students? How much will this cost?

Student Engagement has voicemail request forms that must be submitted to Communications Services at least five working days in advance of your message distribution. The cost is $375. If you want to record your own message, please make an appointment by emailing OCS at or by contacting OCS at 212-854-2897. Remember to keep your message short and to the point.

How do I obtain access to computer permissions for my group's e-mail alias and Web page?

You can request a club e-mail alias or webpage from your adviser. He/she must submit the request on your behalf to CUIT. For specific questions about the types of services available, you can e-mail

How long does it take to process a check?

It can take anywhere from two weeks to a month, depending on the time of year and whether the University has previously paid the vendor. Make sure to include all information including the tax ID number of the vendor and a detailed contract or invoice in order to expedite the process. You can choose to have the check mailed directly to the vendor or held in Student Financial Advising (Lerner 515) for pick-up.

If I am ordering something on-line, what are my options for payment?

You can (1) obtain an invoice from the vendor and request a check from Student Financial Advising in Lerner 515. (This must be done at least 3-4 weeks prior to the time you actually need the items if the vendor wants the check before shipping), (2) ask the vendor if they will accept a purchase order, or (3) pay for the goods with a personal credit card.
Whichever option you choose, you will need to submit an invoice from the vendor in order for Student Financial Advising to process the check request. If paying by credit card, please submit a copy of your credit card bill as well. Remember that you cannot be reimbursed for tax.

My group wants to have a spring barbecue. Where can I rent a grill?

You can rent BBQ equipment from the University. Guidelines for BBQ events are available on the UEM website. Please work with your adviser so that your plans incorporate the current policies. Remember that you must submit a space request form to Lerner Hall staff to reserve outdoor space.

The speaker for my organization’s event is arriving by car. Can I arrange for temporary parking on College Walk?

You can try, but parking is very hard to come by at Columbia. Student Engagement has parking request forms that must be filled out and faxed to the parking office. You will need to know the make, model and color of the vehicle, the license plate number and state, the driver’s name, and the expected arrival and departure times. Remember to confirm the cost, budget for the expense and fill out an e-form.

Where can I find a vendor for customized give-a-ways, posters for cultural months, etc?

Student Engagement has many resources available to your organization. You can stop by and visit your adviser to look through various catalogues and give-a-way books. Vendors that we use frequently are:
Silver Screen Design
Ultimate Impressions
Imprint Products

Where can I find kosher food?

Barnard Dining Services provides kosher catering. They can be reached at 212-854-6653. In addition, there are several kosher caterers on the Upper West Side. Ask your adviser for specifics.

Where can I make photocopies?

There are University Copy Centers in the International Affairs Building (401 IAB, 854-3797) and in the basement of the Journalism Building (106 Journalism, 854-3233). Village Copier, who is one of our vendors, is another option.

Who makes those cool banners hanging in Lerner? How can I have mine hung?

Student organizations work with a wide variety of vendors. C2Media is currently one of the partners working on banners and other print materials. In order to hang your banner, you must request permission through your adviser. Lerner Hall staff will hang and remove your banner.

FAQ Topics