Reduced pre-orientation program participation fees may be available for participants with the highest financial need. You will be asked during the program application process if you are a Barnard/Columbia grant financial aid recipient and would like to be considered for a reduced program participation fee.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following is a list of frequently asked questions from across the offices supporting Columbia College and Columbia Engineering collected here in one place for your convenience. You can browse by topic/department or search by keyword.
Columbia Urban Experience, Columbia Urban Experince (CUE)
The program fee for CUE is $350.00 which covers housing, food, transportation, supplies, and the cost of night activities during the week of CUE. Financial aid is available for those that qualify.
Columbia Urban Experince (CUE), Orientation
CUE is a selective program as there is a high interest from incoming first-years and we only accept 60 participants. For this reason, we encourage anyone interested in service and social justice to demonstrate why they would be a good fit for the program and how the program aligns with their goals.
Each night, CUE participants select their preferred New York City activity from four amazing options. Past activities have included excursions to the Apollo Theater, Hungarian Pastry Shop, Times Square, Magnolia Bakery, Tom's Diner, Upright Citizen's Brigade Improv Theater, the Nuyorican Poets Café, the Brooklyn Bridge, and more.
Breakfasts, lunches, and dinners during CUE are provided by Dining Services.
Columbia Urban Experience (CUE) participants spend the week with a team of five to six other participants and one student leader, working at one of our service sites. They select their preferred non-profit site on the first day of the program, which they have already received descriptions of earlier in the summer. CUE-ers also engage in article-based discussions on critical and ethical perspectives of responsible service. Each evening, participants have the option explore NYC with free night activities led by a team leader!
Sunday, August 19 - Sunday, August 26, 2018
Applications are due Friday, May 18 at 12 p.m.
Applications will be available April 2.
Students will move directly into their first year housing assignments on Sunday, August 19 from 9am-3pm. However, the program takes place in Special Interest Community (SIC) housing throughout the duration of CUE week. Therefore, academic year housing is not accessible from August 19 at 5pm (start of CUE) through August 26 at 12pm (end of CUE). Students are instructed to pack a week’s worth of their belongings to take with them to the SIC house.
All incoming first-year students from Barnard College, Columbia College, and Columbia Engineering are encouraged to apply. At this time, we are not accepting transfer students.
- Academic Life & Advising at Columbia (8)
- Academic Success Programs (6)
- Admitted Students (15)
- Berick Center for Student Advising (39)
- Career Considerations for International Students (13)
- Classes (8)
- Columbia College (8)
- Columbia Engineering (2)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (17)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (COÖP) (17)
- Columbia Urban Experience (2)
- Columbia Urban Experince (CUE) (11)
- Currently Enrolled Students (17)
- CUSP FAQ (10)
- CUSP Summer Enhancement Fellowships (16)
- Family Weekend (19)
- FAQs for All Incoming Students (9)
- Global Ambassador Program (10)
- Graduation and beyond (5)
- How to Comply with the Policy (14)
- How to Use the Undergraduate Travel Web App (4)
- International Student Orientation Program (14)
- International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) (14)
- International Student Programs and Services (65)
- International Student Visas (8)
- JADE FAQ (3)
- Majors (3)
- New Student Orientation Program (First-year Students) (11)
- Orientation (47)
- Parent and Family Programs (19)
- Parents & Families of International Students (7)
- Parents and Families (13)
- Policies and Procedures for Student Leaders (11)
- Preprofessional Advising (3)
- Prospective International Students (4)
- Prospective Students (11)
- Residential Life (5)
- Residential Programs FAQ (4)
- Scholars Program (26)
- Student Affairs (28)
- Student Engagement (14)
- Student Life at Columbia (17)
- Summer Bridge Program (6)
- Time Away (4)
- Transfer and Combined Plan Student Orientation (4)
- Undergraduate International Travel - Programs (8)
- Visiting Student Orientation (7)