General themes may include intercultural communication styless, intercultrual conflict styles, religious identity, race, gender, language, ethnic heritage, sexual orientation among others. In the meetings we will discuss common themes and issues and conduct activities around self-awareness and intercultural understanding. Themes will try to coincide with heritage and history months.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following is a list of frequently asked questions from across the offices supporting Columbia College and Columbia Engineering collected here in one place for your convenience. You can browse by topic/department or search by keyword.
International Student Programs and Services, Global Ambassador Program
We hope to include both upperclass students and first-years in each ambassador group, because our fundamental goal is to connect people from different backgrounds, and this includes age and class year! However, we at GAP hope that this is a learning and sharing expereince for all members of the group - the premise of your ambassador group is an equal rather than mentor-mentee relationship.
This is not exclusively a language exchange program. However you can state that you would like to be partnered with someone who speaks the language on your application and you are free to practice a foreign language with your paired ambassador! GAP offers not only language exchange opportunities but also cultural exchange opportunities.
Ambassadors are expected to participate in the full-day GAP kick-off event on October 12, 2018. After that, we meet every other week (twice a month). These meetings will typically last for about 90 minutes, and dinner will be served in selective meetings. GAP offers at least one GAP-theme related excursion in New York City per semester. Excursions are free to all GAP participants.
You will be notified whether you are accepted to GAP and, if accepted, information about your ambassador group by October 1, 2018.
Yes! GAP is open to all CC and SEAS undergraduate students. You do not have to be an international student to apply to be a part of the program.
The commitment to the program is one academic year (September 2018 to April 2019). If you will be around for a year, you are welcome to apply!
All Columbia College and Columbia Engineering undergraduate students are welcome to apply.
Please apply by Sunday, September 23, 2018. Late and/or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
The Global Ambassador Program (GAP) is a international friendship program that aims to foster intercultural dialogues among Columbia's diverse student body, as well as connect students from different social identities, cultural backgrounds, and class years. It provides a safe(r) space for discussing topics such as culture shock, communication styles, intercultural conflict styles, social perceptions, and social (dis)comfort. GAP hosts monthly themed intercultural events. Members of ambassador groups will also meet up informally to engage in intercultural activities, explore NYC cultures and discussions.
- Academic Life & Advising at Columbia (8)
- Academic Success Programs (5)
- Admitted Students (15)
- Berick Center for Student Advising (39)
- Career Considerations for International Students (13)
- Classes (8)
- Columbia College (8)
- Columbia Engineering (2)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (17)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (COÖP) (18)
- Columbia Urban Experience (2)
- Columbia Urban Experince (CUE) (11)
- Currently Enrolled Students (17)
- CUSP FAQ (10)
- CUSP Summer Enhancement Fellowships (16)
- Family Weekend (19)
- FAQs for All Incoming Students (9)
- Global Ambassador Program (10)
- Graduation and beyond (5)
- How to Comply with the Policy (14)
- How to Use the Undergraduate Travel Web App (4)
- International Student Orientation Program (14)
- International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) (14)
- International Student Programs and Services (65)
- International Student Visas (8)
- JADE FAQ (6)
- Majors (3)
- New Student Orientation Program (First-year Students) (11)
- Orientation (47)
- Parent and Family Programs (19)
- Parents & Families of International Students (7)
- Parents and Families (13)
- Policies and Procedures for Student Leaders (11)
- Preprofessional Advising (3)
- Prospective International Students (4)
- Prospective Students (11)
- Residential Life (5)
- Residential Programs FAQ (4)
- Scholars Program (26)
- Student Affairs (28)
- Student Engagement (18)
- Student Life at Columbia (17)
- Summer Bridge Program (5)
- Time Away (4)
- Transfer and Combined Plan Student Orientation (4)
- Undergraduate International Travel - Programs (8)
- Visiting Student Orientation (7)