Student facilitators select themes for monthly meetings, so the programming is new and dynamic each year. Past themes have included social media and culture, accents and social power, how culture impacts our career choices, standards of hygiene and beauty, and much more!
Frequently Asked Questions
The following is a list of frequently asked questions from across the offices supporting Columbia College and Columbia Engineering collected here in one place for your convenience. You can browse by topic/department or search by keyword.
International Student Programs and Services, Global Ambassador Program
We hope to include both upperclass students and first-years in each ambassador group, because our fundamental goal is to connect people from different backgrounds, and this includes age and class year! However, we at GAP hope that this is a learning and sharing expereince for all members of the group - the premise of your ambassador group is an equal rather than mentor-mentee relationship.
This is not a language exchange program. All programming will be conducted in English. However, there will be many opportunities to share elements of language and culture, and you may meet people with whom you can speak and/or practice many languages!
Ambassadors are expected to participate in programs on Fridays (twice a month), sometimes as a large group and sometimes as a small peer-group. These meetings will typically last for about 75 minutes and start at 9:00 a.m. EDT. Additional optional programming may be added throughout the year.
You will be notified whether you are accepted to GAP and, if accepted, information about your ambassador group in early October.
Yes! GAP is open to all CC and SEAS undergraduate students. You do not have to be an international student to apply to be a part of the program.
The commitment to the program is one academic year (October 2020 to April 2021). If you will be around for a year, you are welcome to apply!
All Columbia College and Columbia Engineering undergraduate students are welcome to apply.
Please apply by the priority deadline, Friday, September 18 at 11:59 p.m. EDT. The final deadline is Friday, September 25 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
GAP is a year-long international friendship program that aims to foster intercultural dialogue among Columbia's diverse student body. The program matches students of different races, nationalities, classes, genders, sexual orientations, and class years. It provides a safe(r) space for discussing topics such as culture shock, communication styles, social perceptions, identity, and family traditions. GAP selects a cohort of approximately 20 ambassadors who participate in monthly dialogues led by student facilitators. Ambassadors are also matched into smaller peer groups (also led by student facilitators) which meet monthly for additional bonding opportunities, intercultural activities, and discussions.
- Academic Life & Advising at Columbia (8)
- Academic Success Programs (7)
- Admitted Students (15)
- Berick Center for Student Advising (39)
- Career Considerations for International Students (13)
- Classes (8)
- Columbia College (8)
- Columbia Engineering (2)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (17)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (COÖP) (18)
- Columbia Urban Experience (2)
- Columbia Urban Experince (CUE) (11)
- Currently Enrolled Students (17)
- CUSP FAQ (10)
- CUSP Summer Enhancement Fellowships (16)
- Family Weekend (19)
- FAQs for All Incoming Students (9)
- First-Year Student Orientation (9)
- Global Ambassador Program (10)
- Graduation and beyond (5)
- How to Comply with the Policy (14)
- How to Use the Undergraduate Travel Web App (4)
- International Student Orientation Program (28)
- International Student Programs and Services (65)
- International Student Visas (8)
- JADE FAQ (6)
- Majors (3)
- Orientation (45)
- Parent and Family Programs (19)
- Parents & Families of International Students (7)
- Parents and Families (13)
- Policies and Procedures for Student Leaders (11)
- Preprofessional Advising (3)
- Prospective International Students (4)
- Prospective Students (11)
- Residential Life (5)
- Residential Programs FAQ (4)
- Scholars Program (26)
- Student Affairs (28)
- Student Engagement (18)
- Student Life at Columbia (17)
- Summer Bridge Program (6)
- Time Away (4)
- Transfer and Combined Plan Student Orientation (4)
- Undergraduate International Travel - Programs (8)
- Visiting Student Orientation (7)