By completing all the necessary steps listed in your Countdown to Columbia checklist, you will be automatically registered for NSOP.
Frequently Asked Questions
The following is a list of frequently asked questions from across the offices supporting Columbia College and Columbia Engineering collected here in one place for your convenience. You can browse by topic/department or search by keyword.
New Student Orientation Program (First-year Students), Orientation
Don't fret! This is why name badges were invented. Both staff and students will wear one throughout orientation week. They are required for all NSOP events, so people’s names will always be accessible.
The NSOP 2019 schedule can be found here.
If you must arrive before the general move-in date, are not participating in a special program, and do not have special permission from the Housing Office, you will need to secure off-campus accommodations. A list of area hotels and other options is available on the Columbia University Travel Portal.
There are many places near campus where you can purchase toiletries and other supplies for your room. We also offer a free shuttle bus to and from the Bed Bath & Beyond at Lincoln Center (1932 Broadway, New York, NY 10023) during NSOP! You can ship packages to your school address starting two weeks before orientation.
Orientation will begin on Sunday, August 25th 2019. Student who do not apply, or that are not accepted for a pre-orientation program will move in on this date.
If you're participating in one of these special programs, you'll get an email informing you of your acceptance and your alternate move-in date.
Please visit the New Student website, which also provides a checklist of the actions you must take to complete requirements by given deadlines to prepare for your move to campus.
While most days are packed with mandatory programming, we have made a sincere effort to add numerous breaks to the week. To plan your week, we recommend marking required programs, events of interest to you, and all of the breaks in your schedule book to make the week seem less hectic. Making time to relax and hang out with your new friends is very important!
Yes! Please visit the Family Engagement website for more information. The Convocation ceremony on Sunday, August 25th will conclude at 8:00 p.m. After the event, students will begin their required programming.
The orientation leaders (OLs) are always available to help you. Your resident assistant (RA) will be another invaluable resource for you throughout orientation and the rest of the year. In addition, the NSOP Committee Office will be running an information booth during the week of orientation, and you will also meet with your advising dean.
- Academic Life & Advising at Columbia (8)
- Academic Success Programs (5)
- Admitted Students (15)
- Berick Center for Student Advising (39)
- Career Considerations for International Students (13)
- Classes (8)
- Columbia College (8)
- Columbia Engineering (2)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (17)
- Columbia Outdoor Orientation Program (COÖP) (18)
- Columbia Urban Experience (2)
- Columbia Urban Experince (CUE) (11)
- Currently Enrolled Students (17)
- CUSP FAQ (10)
- CUSP Summer Enhancement Fellowships (16)
- Family Weekend (19)
- FAQs for All Incoming Students (9)
- Global Ambassador Program (10)
- Graduation and beyond (5)
- How to Comply with the Policy (14)
- How to Use the Undergraduate Travel Web App (4)
- International Student Orientation Program (14)
- International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) (14)
- International Student Programs and Services (65)
- International Student Visas (8)
- JADE FAQ (6)
- Majors (3)
- New Student Orientation Program (First-year Students) (11)
- Orientation (47)
- Parent and Family Programs (19)
- Parents & Families of International Students (7)
- Parents and Families (13)
- Policies and Procedures for Student Leaders (11)
- Preprofessional Advising (3)
- Prospective International Students (4)
- Prospective Students (11)
- Residential Life (5)
- Residential Programs FAQ (4)
- Scholars Program (26)
- Student Affairs (28)
- Student Engagement (18)
- Student Life at Columbia (17)
- Summer Bridge Program (5)
- Time Away (4)
- Transfer and Combined Plan Student Orientation (4)
- Undergraduate International Travel - Programs (8)
- Visiting Student Orientation (7)