Columbia College | Columbia Engineering

Home / Taxonomy term / Center for Student Advising

Center for Student Advising

How do I request to change sections of University Writing?

To change your University Writing section, you must fill out a petition in person on Wednesday, September 2, by 4:00 p.m. You may change your section to reconcile conflicts with other courses, university-sponsored extracurricular activities, varsity athletic practices, or university-sponsored work-study hours. You will be allowed to change sections only if there is space available in another section.

Question Tags: 

How do I request to change my section of Literature Humanities or Frontiers of Science?

The Core Office will consider petitions from students to change their pre-registered sections of Literature Humanities and Frontiers of Science sections beginning Tuesday, September 8, at 9:00 a.m. in 202 Hamilton Hall. Changes will only be made for students who have conflicts with another Core class, major requirement, or varsity athletic practice.

Question Tags: 

I want to major in one of the hard sciences. What should I take?

Consult the requirements for your prospective major or concentration in the CC Bulletin. Students planning to study biology, chemistry, or physics should plan to take General Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus their first semester.

Question Tags: 

I’m a CC student and am not sure what I want to major in. I’m interested in many things! Which classes should I take?

Take a variety of classes that interest you! Your first year is a great time to explore classes and to figure out what you are really passionate about. Peruse the Directory of Classesand the CC Bulletin, make a list of classes that interest you, and then put them intoVergil to see what might work best with your schedule.

Question Tags: 

I want to major in a discipline in the humanities or social sciences. Which classes should I take?

Take courses in the subject matters of interest. For example, if you are interested in history, take some history classes that sound interesting. Typically, it is a good idea to take introductory classes that are 1000- or 2000-level.. Classes in the 3000- or 4000-level, especially seminars, are often taken by juniors and seniors who are more advanced in the subject matter.

Question Tags: 

I want to major in economics. What should I take?

A sample schedule may include: Principles of Economics and Calculus I or Calculus III.

Question Tags: 

What’s the difference between a major and a concentration?

Columbia College students may choose either to major or concentrate in a discipline. Concentrations usually have fewer requirements and thus free up a student’s schedule to take other classes of interest. CC students do not need to have a major to graduate and may instead choose a concentration. Please note that in the case of "Special Concentrations" (for example, the Special Business Management Concentration), a student must choose a major or a concentration in addition to the special concentration in order to graduate.

Question Tags: 

I have AP/IB or other outside credit. How can I add that to my transcript?

Typically, advising deans add AP/IB and other outside credit to a student’s record the summer after his/her first year at Columbia. Please consult the Academic Planning Guide to see if AP credit or SAT II scores may place you into a higher level class or give exemption to a requirement.



Subscribe to Center for Student Advising

James H. and Christine Turk Berick Center for Student Advising


403 Alfred Lerner Hall
2920 Broadway
New York, NY 10027

Call: (212) 854-6378

Fax: (212) 854-2458

Office Hours
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

Walk-in Hours
3:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.