Columbia College | Columbia Engineering

Home / Taking Courses in Other Divisions of the University / Taking Courses in Other Divisions of the University

Taking Courses in Other Divisions of the University

CC/SEAS Visiting & Exchange Students


In addition to the undergraduate divisions, there are 16 graduate/professional divisions within (or affiliated with) Columbia University (full list here). CC/SEAS Visiting & Exchange Students may have the opportunity to enroll in some of these courses. Interested students should contact their Advising Dean for specific enrollment procedures.

Following is a list of schools and programs that allow undergraduates to register for courses, with their policies regarding the enrollment of Columbia College/Visiting Students.

Graduate School of Arts and Sciences 

Courses may be taken by qualified undergraduates with the permission of the director of undergraduate studies in the department in which the course is taught.


Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation 

Students from other departments who wish to take courses within the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation will need the approval of the Office of Admissions & Student Affairs. Permission to register in a course is not granted by the instructor.  Cross-registration for GSAPP courses will take place during the first and second week of classes only.

Interested students should first consult the list of open courses posted on the first day of class outside of the Office of Admissions & Student Affairs (400 Avery Hall). Registration for these courses is immediate, and can be done via paper ADD/DROP form (available from 4th floor reception desk). Please note that all studios and visual studies courses are not open to non-GSAPP students (see cross registration web page here.)


School of the Arts 

Graduate courses may be taken on a space-available basis by qualified undergraduates.  


Columbia Business School 

While courses are not guaranteed, Visiting students may apply to take up to 3 credits at the Columbia Business School. Please find instructions for cross-registration HERE

The application opens:  January 18, 2018 10:00AM EST

The application closes:  January 19, 2018 04:00PM EST


School of International and Public Affairs

Non-SIPA students are permitted to register for a maximum of 9 credits per semester. Undergraduates must receive instructor permission to register in "open" courses at the 6000 level and above. Find registration request form and a list of available and restricted classes HERE.


School of Journalism

Cross registration in the School of Journalism is primarily available to graduate students (with top priority given to IMC SIPA students).  However some courses may be open undergraduate students on a space-available basis. For more information about the cross registration policies and procedures, click here.


School of Public Health

Columbia undergraduate students interested in taking public health courses must petition the Dean of Students. The petition should include the following: a)   A written request detailing their interest in a public health course, and why they should be approved; b) an official transcript for review; c) and written permission of the instructor.  

Please address the above materials to Dean of Students, Mailman School of Public Health, 722 West 168 Street, suite 1014, or you may email your materials to Please call 212-342-3128 with any questions. The student will be contacted with the decision by the dean of students office.  




School of Social Work

Courses may be taken on a space-available basis. To request a course in the school of Social Work, complete the cross registration form found here. Cross-registration cannot be guaranteed. If space is available in the requested course/section, and you meet any necessary prerequisites, you will be registered by the Office of Student Services, and your registration will be confirmed via email. Once registered, the course will appear in your schedule via Student Services Online (SSOL).   If you have any questions, please contact


Courses in the following schools are generally NOT available to Columbia College/SEAS Visiting/Exchange Students 

James H. and Christine Turk Berick Center for Student Advising


403 Alfred Lerner Hall
2920 Broadway
New York, NY 10027

Call: (212) 854-6378

Fax: (212) 854-2458

Office Hours
9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

Walk-in Hours (Sept-May)
3:00 p.m.–4:30 p.m.