Be a part of the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation’s exceptional 12-week cardiovascular clinical research internship designed for undergraduate students who are pre-med or planning a career in medicine. During this unique educational experience you will be paired with a physician mentor who is actively engaged as a clinician and researcher at a nationally recognized hospital. You will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in groundbreaking cardiovascular research
- Shadow a physician mentor in hospital rounds, watch procedures and listen as care teams discuss cases.
- Observe an open heart procedure.
- Attend case conferences where cross-functional care teams discuss difficult cases.
- Shadow cardiovascular nurses in the ICU and post-surgical care area.
- Observe leading-edge cardiovascular diagnostic services.
- Reflect on your career options while hearing physicians’ candid stories of career journeys and passions during lunch and learns.
- Participate in interactive medical device industry tours and a hands-on tour of cardiovascular specimens at a nationally renowned heart registry.
At the conclusion of the internship, you will showcase your research work at an open house and poster session. Many projects result in the intern having the opportunity to be an author on an article published in a national scientific journal. As well, some interns have the opportunity to present their work at a national cardiovascular conference.