The WALLE Volunteer Program is seeking students to volunteer as interns. WALLE interns seek to improve quality of care by informing patients about community resources that address health-related social needs.
- Referring patients to available community resources that may meet patients' needs
- Interviewing patients to identify barriers to health-related social needs
- Employing tenets of health literacy to engage caregivers in culturally relevant discourse
- Imparting knowledge about general health information and related social needs
- Encouraging caregivers to articulate their concerns, beliefs, and questions about health-related social needs
- Documenting patient encounters on NowPow
- Must be technology savvy
- Must have strong interpersonal skills
- Bilingual candidates a plus (top three languages: Spanish, Arabic, and French)
Part-time, with a minimum of eight hours per week, split between any day Mon. - Fri., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Shifts may be available in the adult and pediatric emergency departments on evenings and weekends. Must be able to commit to a minimum of one semester.
$6 Subway gift card and a stipend upon completion of a total of 256 hours
To apply, please email both Rebecca Lichtin and Emelin Martinez with your name, preferred email address, and a list of all sites at which you would be interested in interning by October 26th, 2018. Upon receipt of your email, you will be sent a volunteer services department application to complete. Site options include:
- Adult Emergency Department (Allen or Milstein Hospital)
- Pediatric Emergency Department (CHONY)
- Outpatient NYPH Ambulatory Care Network (pediatrics, internal medicine, family medicine, OBGYN, family planning)
If you have questions about this volunteer opportunity, please feel free to reach out to Rebecca Lichtin (firstname.lastname@example.org).