The volunteers at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst are community residents who work with the hospital staff in providing not only quality health care, but a humane and compassionate atmosphere of care. They are men and women who are students, working adults, and active seniors. They are our dynamic and enthusiastic volunteer corps.
Volunteer service is important to our hospital and our community. Volunteers unselfishly offer time, talents, and skills to assist our patients. Whether they help in an office, a clinic, patient transport, or a patient unit, volunteers contribute to the overall care of the patients and to the delivery of quality health care services at NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst.
Volunteer service is important to us, but it also provides an excellent opportunity to be productive, to explore health careers, to learn new skills, and to help the community.
NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst does not offer volunteer positions involving direct patient care as volunteers are not permitted to touch patients. Additionally, there are no shadowing opportunities available.
The Department of Volunteer Services coordinates the placement of volunteers throughout the hospital.
The following are a few departments where volunteers can work:
- Admitting Department
- Ambulatory Surgery
- Ambassador Program (Meet, greet and assist patients and families)
- Cancer Patient Support
- Emergency Department
- Inpatient (Visiting patients and providing non-clinical support)
- Outpatient (Lobby rounds, clerical support, stock supplies)
- Patient Advocacy
- Patient Transport
- Pharmacy Department
- Physical & Occupational Therapy
- Radiology Transport
- Special Programs (Healthy Outlook & After School Programs)
- Spiritual Care Department
Volunteering Application Process
- Fill out our Volunteer Assessment Survey form online and email it to EHCVOLSERV@nychhc.org or come in person.
- After review of the survey, you will be contacted via e-mail to schedule an interview. Due to the volume of applicants, we will not be able to find a volunteer position for everyone. If your interests, time and qualifications matches any of our volunteer opportunities, we will get in touch with you within one week. Otherwise, we will retain your information for three months and if no match is found, your information will be deleted.
- Your medical and other documents must be completed within six weeks from the date of your interview. Your information will be deleted if no activity was found after six weeks.