Applications for 2020 New Student Orientation Program (NSOP) orientation leaders are now closed.
Orientation leaders (OLs) are essential for the smooth transition of new students into the Columbia community. OLs assist with everything from move-in procedures to staffing the information booth during NSOP. They may be assigned to staff events, tours, trips or lectures. OLs also directly interact with new students through assigned groups of new students. OLs are responsible for communicating and meeting with these new students about NSOP events and for offering advice and encouragement during their transition to Columbia. OLs must project a positive and excited attitude towards Columbia University and NSOP to new students at all times.
Some orientation leaders are also needed to help facilitate Responsible Communities at Columbia (RC@C) and Live Well | Learn Well programs for new students. If interested, please indicate your interest in the application. An additional interview will be required with Alice! Health Promotion staff to be considered. OLs who are also hired to be facilitators will be required to arrive at campus two days prior to OL training. All meals and housing will be covered by the program.
Questions about orientation leaders? Please email email@example.com.
Important Dates and Expectations
- Always maintain a positive attitude towards Columbia University and NSOP
- Respect and follow the directions of crew captains, the NSOP Committee and NSOP staff
- Adhere to the important dates below in a timely manner:
- Friday, February 28, Monday, March 2, Tuesday, March 10: Mandatory information session and group interview for new leaders. The February 28 session will take place from 1:00-1:30 p.m, the March 2 session from 5:30-6:00 p.m. and the March 10 session will take place from 9:00-9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 24–Tuesday, March 31: Interviews will be the week of March 23 and will consist of a short individual interview
- Thursday, April 9, Friday, April 10 and Monday, April 13: The April 9 Leader agreement signing session will take place from 8:30-9:00 a.m., the April 10 session from 9:00–10:00 a.m and the April 13 session will take place from 4:00-4:30 p.m. All leaders who have received an offer must attend one of these sessions.
- Wednesday, May 6: NSOP Mandatory Study Break on Wednesday, May 6, from 2:00–4:00 p.m. EDT.
- Wednesday, August 26: Orientation Leaders are expected to arrive on campus no later than noon on Wednesday, August 26 for the start of NSOP training
- Wednesday, August 26–Monday, September 7: Orientation Leaders must be available for the duration of training and NSOP
- Sunday, August 30–Monday, September 7: NSOP is from Sunday, August 30–Monday, September 7