The Center for Student Advising (CSA) is looking for motivated and talented students to become Columbia Peer Advisers for the 2015-2016 academic year. CSA Peer Advisers (PAs) are sophomores, juniors, and seniors who work during New Student Orientation (NSOP) and throughout the academic year to supplement the services offered by CSA, build community, and enhance the student experience. PAs receive ongoing and extensive training and provide a firsthand account of Core and course requirements, major options, and extracurricular activities. They offer social, academic, and emotional support and help students navigate and connect with resources at Columbia College and The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science.
- Assist with on-line summer advising chats with incoming students during July and August
- Act as an informed resource for all students regarding matters of policy and programs, social organizations, campus life and curricular/co-curricular activities
- Create and run programs that connect students with other students and campus resources
- Attend various CSA events as needed
- Participate in on-going training sessions throughout the fall and spring semesters
- Administrative duties include (but not limited to): email management, online chats, advertising, marketing and blogging/social media.
- Time Commitment: 2-4 hours per week
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be in good disciplinary and academic standing (maintain cumulative GPA of 3.0)
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations of students and administration
- Capacity for discretion, diplomacy and confidentiality
- Demonstrated record of leadership, maturity and academic excellence
- Flexible, resourceful, knowledgeable and motivated
- Outgoing and possesses a positive attitude
The submission deadline is April 15, 2015. The full application consists of an the application form,your resume, short answer questions, and a reference list.