1. Applicants must be a registered student of recent alumnus/alumna (Class of 2005 or later) of Arizona State University, Cornell University, Claremont Colleges, Emory University, Harvard University, Stanford University, University of Arizona, University of California Berkeley, University of California Los Angeles, University of Southampton, University of Southern California or University of Washington. Applicants outside of these universities will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Current Atlanta Teach for America corps members are also eligible.
2. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age on their program start-date.
3. Applicants must be capable of walking 4 miles each day unassisted.
4. Successful applicants must plan their travel so that they are in Arusha for the entire duration of the program. Failure to do so may result in loss of place in the program.
5. Successful applicants must attend pre-field meetings at their University. Failure to do so may result in loss of place in the program. Exceptions may be granted for applicants who will be away from the home campus during Spring Semester/Quarter.
6. Applicants who have completed at least one semester/quarter of college level Swahili will be at an advantage.
7. Applicants with previous HIV prevention teaching experience will be at an advantage.
8. Students will be selected based on their application and interview. Previously demonstrated interest in international health, volunteer work, leadership and ability to work well with a team under challenging conditions will all put applicants at an advantage.
9. No student will be discriminated against on the basis of sex, religion, race, sexual orientation, national origin or economic background.
10. All selections decisions will be made by the selections committee, whose decision is final and not open to appeal.
11. A wait-list will be created and used in case of volunteers dropping out between selection and departure for Tanzania.
12. A $500 non-refundable deposit will be due within two weeks of acceptance. The balance of the program fee will be due on the date specified on the program summary page. Failure to meet these deadlines may result in loss of place in the program. All payments are non-refundable.
13. Accepted applicants will be required to sign a liability release form. Failure to do so will result in loss of place in the program.