The Office of Multicultural Affairs offers diversity education workshops and training sessions for offices, academic departments and students across the Columbia University community. Please submit your request using this form at least one month prior to the desired date of the event. We will review and respond to your request within seven business days.
Our workshops and trainings can be tailored to meet your needs and interest, and we have typically offered four types of workshop and training sessions:
Office of Multicultural Affairs 101:
An introduction to the staff, purpose, events and programs offered by the Office of Multicultural Affairs
Trainings focus on awareness building and skill development. In the past, we have offered trainings to build compentencies in:
• Group facilitation skills
• Being an effective ally, and
• Intercultural communication.
Workshop sessions include interactive activities and dialogue to deeply explore a specific topic. We have previously offered workshops that address:
• Mental health and wellness in communities of color
• Issues impacting transgender students at Columbia University, and
• Responsible journalism and inclusive reporting.
Dialogues provide an opportunity to explore difficult or challenging topics with support from trained staff and/or student facilitators. Past facilitated dialogues have addressed:
• Divisions within an identity community
• Dialogue among LGBTQ and faith-based organizations, and
• Facilitation among groups in conflict.