This session is intended for Junior or Senior Healthcare majors
“A Friend for Rachel,” affords students who have professional interests in healthcare careers with a unique learning experience and volunteer opportunity to provide ongoing companionship to people with early-stage dementia.
• As a “Friend” you can help people with early-stage dementia continue to enjoy their interests, remain active, be involved in meaningful activity, develop new relationships, and avoid isolation.
• Help provide respite time for the family caregiver.
• Gain a thorough understanding of a very complex disease, which is considered a public health crisis. Develop a meaningful relationship with a person with dementia.
“Friends” must commit to:
• Spending 3-4 hours/week for at least 1 year with a person with early-stage dementia.
• Participating in a series of didactic and experiential learning workshops (scheduled on Sunday afternoons: Sept 23; October 7; October 28: and December 2) as well as ongoing supervision, which is provided by experts in the field.
Please complete the attached application no later than September 14th and send with your CV to: Jill Goldman email@example.com and Amy Trommer firstname.lastname@example.org
We will be doing interviews before and after the session, so contact us to sign up before then.