EXPRESS APPLICATION TO THE M.S. PROGRAM IN SEAS FOR SENIORS
This express application process is open to Columbia students already enrolled in the B.S. degree program, who have a Columbia G.P.A. of at least 3.5 and who are applying to an M.S. program in their *home department. (*Exception: IEOR will accept applications from Columbia College seniors with Statistics, Mathematics, Economics or Computer Science majors.)
This option offers a quick and smooth transition to the M.S. degree program, with its well-known utility in professional training.
Advantages of Continuing on to the M.S. Program at Columbia
Continuing on to an M.S. degree program in a student’s home department at Columbia University offers several advantages to qualified students presently in the B.S. program:
- They can earn a M.S. degree seamlessly, knowing that the advanced courses they will be taking have been designed to have the exact prerequisites they have taken as undergraduates.
- They can take graduate classes in their senior year (if they want), and have them count towards the M.S. degree, provided these courses are not being counted toward their undergraduate degree.
- They can plan their courses better, without squeezing M.S. requirements into two or three semesters. This makes possible a more streamlined set of courses, as well as increased depth and breadth.
- An increased efficiency is that the students do not have to move to a new area, but will instead be in an institution and city they already know. This, together with the seamless sequences of courses the program makes possible, can result in a shorter time towards the M.S. degree.
- Summer projects taken at the end of the senior year for research credit can count towards the M.S. degree, provided the student has found a suitable advisor willing to supervise them and that credits have not been applied toward the B.S. degree
- The express application process further simplifies matters for qualified seniors. 3-2 students in their senior year are also eligible to apply.
The B.S. and M.S. requirements must be satisfied separately before the corresponding degree is awarded.
- Columbia students currently in the B.S. program, with a Columbia G.P.A. of at least 3.5, to complete and submit an application online. Three faculty members from Columbia, who are willing to act as references, must be listed on the form, but do not need to be asked by the applicant to write letters; the Department will contact them.
- Submission of an official transcript is not required; the Department will obtain the transcript.
- No GRE is required.
- No TOEFL is required, as it is assumed that foreign students already in the B.S. degree program have satisfactory command of English.
- Express M.S. applicants that were admitted, but did not enroll are not eligible to reactivate their application or defer admission to another term. Instead, the applicant must reapply through the regular graduate admission process.
Although this Express Application process simplifies the application procedure, it does not guarantee admission. Columbia University undergraduate student housing and undergraduate student financial aid packages do not carry over to an M.S. program at Columbia University.
If the student later decides to apply for admission to the Ph.D. program at Columbia, he/she will have to satisfy all Ph.D. admission requirements, including the GRE.
For more information please contact the Office of Graduate Student Affairs at: email@example.com or 212-854-3610/6438. Location: 254ET MUDD