Columbia College | Columbia Engineering

Student Advising

End-of-Semester Note: Policy on Incompletes

Dear Students:

As we approach the end of the semester, I am writing to remind you of the policy on Incompletes.

While most students complete the semester without incident -  they take their finals, write their papers, and complete all work within the set deadlines – some students experience incapacitating illness or serious family emergencies. Students in these rare circumstances may request an Incomplete. Supporting documentation of the emergency situation is, however, required.

If you find yourself in this situation (which we truly hope you do not), you must speak to your advising dean immediately to discuss the process for requesting an Incomplete. You must request the Incomplete before the relevant exam, not after.

To be eligible for an Incomplete, you must:

  1. Provide documentation regarding your circumstances.
  2. Have completed all work for the course except for the final project, paper, or exam.

Keep in mind the following:

  1. We do not entertain requests for incompletes until final exams begin, except in truly extraordinary circumstances.
  2. Incompletes cannot be used as a way to gain an extension on work due within the semester.

Students who find themselves incapacitated by illness or in a grave family crisis and therefore need to petition for an Incomplete must:

  1. Contact their advising dean to discuss the request and receive the incomplete petition paperwork. (If you don’t know the name of your advising dean, please check your SSOL account.)
  2. Request that the instructor(s) complete the instructor information form (included in the paperwork from your advising dean).
  3. Obtain supporting documentation appropriate to the reason you are requesting an Incomplete.
  4. Bring all completed forms and documents to the CSA and meet with the Chairs of the Committee on Academic Standing, Dean Andrew Plaa or me.

In collaboration with the professor, we will assign a deadline for completion of overdue work (or a deferred exam date) for the few students who are granted an Incomplete. If a student fails to meet those deadlines, the contingency grade determined by the faculty will be assigned for the course.

As the end of the term draws near, I hope you are faring well. If not, please reach out to your advising dean or me in the Center for Student Advising (CSA) on the fourth floor of Lerner Hall. And if you have questions, please let me know.


Monique Rinere
Dean of Advising


Starting with:

# (3)
2 (13)
3 (2)
4 (1)
@ (1)
A (135)
B (68)
C (551)
D (87)
E (135)
F (89)
G (49)
H (55)
I (146)
J (44)
K (8)
L (56)
M (104)
N (45)
O (118)
P (234)
R (53)
S (318)
T (81)
U (40)
V (22)
W (57)
Z (1)