A program to facilitate honest conversation with incoming students about alcohol and other drug issues at Columbia
Dear Returning Facilitators:
Thank you for your continued interest in serving as a facilitator for this successful initiative. As you know, RC@C is in its third year and is co-sponsored by Alice! Health Promotion and Residential Life. This training and facilitation offers an opportunity for you to learn about alcohol and other drug issues and to speak to incoming first-years about managing their choices around alcohol and other drugs as they transition into the Columbia community. We value your feedback and appreciate your reflective responses in this brief reapplication.
Why facilitate RC@C with incoming students again?
- Impact our community in a healthy way
- Support the rights of all students to make their own choices regarding alcohol and other drugs
- Ensure students understand residential policy as it relates to choices regarding alcohol and other drugs
- Gain leadership experience- perhaps volunteer to assist with training the new facilitators
- Meet new people
As you know, RC@C facilitators are expected to act as positive role models for Alice! Health Promotion, Residential Life, and Columbia University at all times. While understanding that all students are human, there is an expectation that peer facilitators demonstrate and promote responsible choice and healthy behaviors regarding alcohol and other drugs. Applicants who have a judicial sanctioning of probation or above are excluded from participation as a facilitator.
- Spring Training is scheduled to take place on Sunday, April 26, from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Facilitators will move-in on Monday, August 31.
- Fall Training is scheduled on Tuesday, September 1, from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- RC@C facilitation will occur Tuesday, September 1, from 6:00-10:30 p.m. (Exact facilitation time TBD.)
As returning leaders and role models, attendance is required on each of the above-noted dates in order to continue to facilitate this program. Completed applications must be submitted below before the application deadline on Friday, March 27, 2015, at 8:00 p.m. We look forward to reviewing your submission and will inform you regarding your status as a facilitator by Friday, April 10, 2015. If you have any questions, please reach out to Nathan Johnson, or Alicia Czachowski.