A program to facilitate honest conversations with students about alcohol and other drug issues at Columbia
Thank you for expressing interest in serving as a facilitator for this successful initiative, in its fourth year, co-sponsored by Alice! Health Promotion and Residential Life. This training and facilitation offers an opportunity to learn about alcohol and other drug issues, to speak to incoming first-years about managing their choices around alcohol and other drugs as they transition into the Columbia community, and to volunteer throughout the year on outreach initiatives to create a smart, safe, and responsible community at Columbia.
Why becoming an RC@C facilitator?
- Impact our community in a smart, safe, and responsible way
- Support the rights of all students to make their own choices regarding alcohol and other drugs
- Ensure students understand residential policy as it relates to choices regarding alcohol and other drugs
- Gain leadership experience
- Meet new people
RC@C facilitators are expected to act as positive role models for Alice! Health Promotion, Residential Life, and Columbia University at all times. While understanding that all students are human, there is an expectation that peer facilitators demonstrate and promote responsible choice and healthy behaviors regarding alcohol and other drugs. Applicants who currently have a judicial sanctioning of probation or above are excluded from participation as a facilitator. Facilitators are expected to participate throughout the academic year.
- Spring Training is scheduled to take place on Saturday, April 23th from 9am - 4pm
- Facilitators will move-in on Monday, August 29th.
- Fall Training is scheduled on Tuesday, August 30, from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- RC@C facilitation will occur Tuesday, August 30, from 6:00-10:30 p.m. (Exact facilitation time TBD.)
Attendance is required at each of the above-noted dates in order to facilitate this program.
Other important dates include where your assistance will be requested:
- Columbia Health Expo RC@C Table Wednesday, August 31 (Exact time TBD)
- Homecoming Week Outreach (Exact date and time TBD)
- Bacchanal water stations 2017 (Exact date and time TBD)
Completed applications must be submitted below before the application deadline on Friday, March 21, 2016, at 8:00 p.m. You may be contacted for an interview as a final component of your application. We look forward to reviewing your submission and will inform you regarding your status as a facilitator by Monday, April 11. If you have any questions, please reach out to Alicia Czachowski, or Zaibis Muñoz.