The International Buddy Program (IBP) strives to make incoming international students feel welcome and help them prepare for their transition to college life before they arrive on campus. The program matches new international students ("cubs") with returning international or domestic students ("lions"). The "lions" serve as a resource for four to five incoming international students. "Lions" provide a friendly face and helpful information. They offer that first Columbia friendship, which can make a world of difference for incoming international students who are preparing to come to New York City.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
Information for "Cubs"
Applications to become a "cub" are now open through Wednesday, July 29 at 11:59 p.m. EDT. Submit your "cub" application!
- All Columbia College and Columbia Engineering first-year international students (broad definition) are eligible to apply to be a "cub"
- All "cubs" will be matched with a "lion" based on their expressed interest, perspective majors and country/countries of origin
- "Cubs" will be able to contact their lions via email, Facebook chats, Skype, FaceTime and other channels of electronic communication throughout the summer
- The matched "lions" will be the point people for pre-departure questions and referral for campus resources
- Cubs will meet their matched lions in person during the International @ Columbia Open House in September
Information for "Lions"
Applications to become a "lion" are now open through Sunday, April 17 at 11:59 p.m. EDT. Submit your "lion" application!
- Commit to be a buddy to new international students from June to September (each "lion" informally mentors four to five first-year international students who signed up to be in IBP)
- Connect via email, Facebook chats, Skype, FaceTime and other channels of electronic communication
- Reach out to assigned first-year buddies and share relevant information (e.g. transition/packing/Columbia experience, etc.) electronically over the summer break
- Attend the International @ Columbia Open House in the fall to meet their assigned first-year buddies in person
- Participate in Friday Lunch Chats throughout September to provide face-to-face support to first-year international students